Hi All,

I am helping out a friend with his site and we're almost there.  The only
issue the client is having is that in IE6, the dropdown menu is pushed too
far over to the right by about 50 px or so and the first 30 px of the list
item are cut off.  You can see one of the pages here:

http://www.legendinc.com/Pages/LegendAdvertising/LGNDPages/CourierStuff/DBK/DennisKBurke/public_html/Pages/AboutUs.html

The client also sent a screenshot and it shows the list shifted too far over
to the right so that the dropdown list is under the wrong link (for example
the Fuel and Gasoline dropdown is positioned under Lubricants and the first
5 characters are cut off)

The nav is wrapped in an outer div which is relatively positioned and the
div containing the navigation is absolutely positioned.  Here's the css for
the nav: (the css is in a file called testnav.css).  When I first developed
the menu, the dropdowns were positioning too far to the right, so that's why
there is a negative margin on the #nav ul li a declaration.  It looks fine
in FF and Safari, so if there's an IE6 hack out there, that would be a big
help.

#homenav {
position:relative;
top:0px;
width:980px;
margin:0px auto;
margin-top:-25px;
margin-bottom:15px;
}

#innernav {
position:relative;
top:0px;
width:980px;
margin:0px auto;
margin-top:-25px;
margin-bottom:25px;
}

#navigation{
position:absolute;
top:0px;
left:45px;
margin:0px;
width:980px;
font: 12px Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
padding-top:15px;
padding-bottom:15px;
}

#navigation li a{
background-color: rgb(51,71,122);
padding-left:5px;
padding-right:7px;
color:#FFF;
font-size:12px;
}

#navigation li a.innerStyle:hover{
background-color: rgb(211,17,67);
color:#FFF;

}

/*subnav styling*/

*+ html #nav ul {
margin: 25px 0 0 -122px;} /* ie 7 hack */

#nav li {
list-style:none;
display:block;
float:left;
}
#nav a {
display:block;
float:left;
padding: 7px 10px 8px 10px;
background-color:#fff;
margin: 0 0 0 0px;
text-decoration:none;
}

/* hide the sub nav */

#nav ul {
display:none;
position:absolute;
margin: 30px 0 0 2px;
z-index:999;
}

#nav li ul {
width:160px;
background-color:#FFF;

}

#nav ul li a {
margin:0px 0px 0px -40px;
width:190px;
border:1px solid #000;
float:left;

}
#nav ul li a.innerStyle:hover {
background-color: rgb(211,17,67);
color:#FFF;
}

I'd like to use this "recipe" to create dropdown nav on other sites, so any
help with IE's little positioning issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jenn Mears-Nickerson

Jenn Mears Web Design LLC <http://jennmearswebdesign.com/>