On Tuesday 13 July 2010 23:02, Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:

> I think that there is a great deal of unintentional racism in
> the US-English-centric web that we use today, but the last time
> a group of us tried to raise this as a serious issue within the
> CSS working  group, one of the joint Chairmen had an apoplectic
> fit, so I have little hope that this will be addressed in the
> short term, much as I would like it to be.

No racism intended from my reply. I was thinking that the OP's question
originated in rare mathematical symbols. I recently helped in such an issue
on the OpenOffice.org list where the OP wanted to know how to get a "R" glyph
with a slash superimposed on top. No single unicode glyph exists for this but
there are a range of glyphs which can overlay others including the slash.
Vary rare request. Often with math formulas, browsers produce broken output
and it is as much of an issue as languges though less common.

In my understanding with languages the user has adequate fonts loaded on their
box but the web dev pretty much can only offer sans-serif or serif to them
and hope that the box/browser is well set up.