On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 10:58 AM, Bill Braun <bbr...@hlthsys.com> wrote:

> Anne McKinsey wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I'm setting up numerous web pages with a jquery photo gallery that
>> needs AP for its main images. Is it okay to set up every container on
>> the page with AP or are there potential problems with doing so? The
>> pages look okay on various browsers and no errors on W3C validator,
>> but I can't help but think I'm doing something horribly wrong.
>>
>> Here is a page:
>> http://www.amckwebandprint.com/macdonald/portfolio/portfolio-knit-
>> process.html
>> http://www.amckwebandprint.com/macdonald/portfolio/portfolio.css
>>
>> Your advice is much appreciated,
>>
>> A. McKinsey
>>

> The trade off is between precision design and the wide variety of
> preferences users have in how they configure their browsers. What looks
> great to you based on the screen size, screen resolution, and browser
> settings you used during design and coding may look unsightly to people
> who have different monitors and browser preferences.
>
> I use absolute positioning myself. No one so far has complained, but I
> suspect that the easier response from people who find your site (or
> mine) unsightly is to simply leave. I am actively considering removing
> absolute positioning in the next site redesign.
>
> Bill B

I'd have to say that I've never used AP for an entire site. I have
sprinkled AP within a non-AP site w/o ill effects. Such as AP-ing a
logo in a header. Obviously being aware of the fact it is removed from
the flow and making sure nothing would crash into it upon text
scaling, etc.

I can imagine an entire build using AP would have its share of tricky quirks...

--

Tom Livingston | Senior Interactive Developer | Media Logic |
ph: 518.456.3015x231 | fx: 518.456.4279 | mlinc.com