On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 5:07 PM, Jakub <kuba.off...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> This is my first post here, be merciful please...
> Anyway, I am trying to create a horizontal navbar, widely known from
> "http://css.maxdesign.com.au/listamatic/horizontal03.htm"; all looks good,
> except that when zooming in (Opera, Firefox, Safari, Chrome - those I've
> checked) list items are dropping down. It doesn't happen in IE6, IE7
> though... Is there any way to prevent this happening?
> Here is the link... http://www.jakub.zxq.net/
> I would greatly appreciate any help.
>
> Thank you all in advance
> Jakub

The issue lies within the width:100%;
This command says that the content will expand as far as the width of its
container, then it will wrap. When a user zooms, since 100% in your case is
the width of the viewport, The size of the viewport doesn't change, and all
the content gets too big to fit in that 100%.

This problem can be easily fixed. Since it's working fine in IE6/7, we can
use the min-width property.

#menu ul {
list-style-type: none;
float: left;
min-width:700px; /* if the viewport gets smaller than 700px then the content
won't wrap and it will create a bottom scrollbar. */
width: 100%;
background-color: #036;
}

You may want to play with the actual number of pixels, this is just a rough
draft. I've posted it at http://gumware.com/cssd/onyourfeet.html

Hope this helps,
Alex Mitchell

In addition, you may want to change

html, body {
margin: 0;
padding: 0;

html, body, ul, li {
margin: 0;
padding: 0;
}

Because, right now you are getting a bottom scrollbar, caused by the
padding/margin browsers set on an unordered list by default. If you reset
them like this, it will get rid of the bottom scrollbar and you will be able
to more effectively style your lists.