OK, then I suppose that Gabriele and I differ
over the meaning of "mysterious" in "mysterious gaps".
I was expecting a single space-of-the-line, but
thought that Gabriele must be experiencing more in
order for them to qualify as "mysterious".

Presumably "white-space-collapse: discard" will
remove the last space once CSS3 becomes a published
specification and browser writers rush to adopt it.

** Phil.
--------
Philippe Wittenbergh wrote:

There is a (one) white-space node between each string.
Try:
a, strong { background: yellow;}

tabs are normalised to spaces, then collapsed together. that is the normal
white-space processing model.