> crime
> > against humanity to recover an ancient musical instrument from a
> > secluded cave and subsequently play it in front of others.</li>
>
> >     ...and then float or position the classed 'span' next to the list
> > item.  I'd probably try positioning first, actually.  Something along
> > these lines:
>
> >     ol.legal li {position: relative; padding-left: 7em;}
> >     ol.legal li span.num {position: absolute; top: 0; left: -7em;}
>
> > The numbers there are just wild guesses, so adjust to taste; and I
> > imagine there would be a bit more needed to fine-tune the placement
> > and appearance of the numbers.  But I think that basic approach
> > should work for what you're trying to do.
> ---
> Thanks for that (and to Dave also). FWIW, I tried taking a look at
> what Wikipedia have done with the table of contents on
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Manual_of_Style_%28lists%29 as
> I assumed the numbering was done using CSS. However, I now see that
> they've pretty much done as you suggested.

The technique used on Wikipedia won't give you the wrapping you want.
What about using two spans and using this approach:

a crime against humanity to recover an ancient musical instrument from a
secluded cave and subsequently play it in front of others.</span></li>

.legal li li {padding-left: 4em;}
.legal li span.num {float: left; margin-right: .3em; }
.legal li span.text {display: block; overflow: hidden; zoom: 1;}

--
Regards,
Thierry