> Whilst that will work, and fully answers the question, from a CSS
> perspective, you should be aware that the link target areas (i.e. what can
> be clicked on) will then differ from (be smaller than) the list items which
> are coloured. If you think that disconnects fine, then by all means use this
> method.

Dear Bobby and Philippe,
Both ways work perfectly in the way that i was wishing for. I tried both to
learn something. Now i just need to decide which one! I suppose it boils
down to personal preference. I would automatically only expect the text to
show the its a link symbol rather than the whole highlighted background. Is
it better accessibility wise to make the whole area clickable or for a menu
does it not matter.

Thanks very much for answering my problem so quickly, help much appreciated.
Lisa