On 11/7/10 8:51 PM, Alan Gresley wrote:
David McGlone wrote:
[...] I have a horizontal menu that I was using an UL list, this
worked in firefox, but not completly in IE 7/8 and various others.
they kept going into a vertical list despite using things like
display: inline-block, so I decided to remove the links from the UL
tags and just use the link, now I can't figure out how to work with
the tag to move the links around or resize them etc.

this is the site: http://dmcentral.net/simple/

here's the CSS:
http://dmcentral.net/simple/include/style/default.css

How could I evenly space the links, I've tried using padding,
margin, width and not a thing happens for some reason.
[snip]

This simple answer is floating the <a>s. Firstly since they will
behave as display:block in which a width can be applied and secondly,
floating will allow them to sit side by side.

BTW, IE8 does not have the behavior you say it does.

Perhaps IE8 was in "compatibility mode." That has bitten me several
times. :(

For a <ul> or <ol>, display: inline-block will render the list items
 vertical in IE7-. There are two options that are cross browser
friendly.

1. Setting display: inline on this <li>s and setting the <a>s to
display: block in which a width can be applied.

2. Floating the <li>s.

3. Set the <li> to display: inline; and <a> to display: inline-block;

Cordially,
David