The connect-css.css got included because I saved your webpage from my
browser. The slideshow does not require it. Remove it if you don't
need it.

In the javascript file slidefadinger.js , line 19 determines the
granularity of the fade. That is, the smaller the number, the smoother
the fade. I found that opacity is moderately processor intensive, so
you probably don't want to set this below 5.
Line 20 determines how much time (in ms) each semi-transparent state
of the image is displayed. The smaller this number, the quicker the
fading image. Larger numbers here would require smaller numbers in
line 19 to maintain smoothness.
Line 29 determines how much time each image is displayed.

I made some minor performance optimizations to the javascript, you can
find the new file here:
http://roughtech.com/t/indexcssslideshow_files/slidefadinger.js

Cheers,
Chetan