Object: <http://onwebdev.blogspot.com/2010/12/css-templates-outside-box.html>

On 17.12.2010 00:22, Greg Wilker wrote:
There are currently a lot of validation errors with the template; both css
and xhtml.

Source code claim to be "HTML 5", and as such there's nothing wrong with validity, just a warning that HTML 5 isn't a rock-solid standard yet - and we all know that. CSS contains the usual browser-specific "-moz-" and "-webkit-" code/workarounds, and apart from that it is valid.

It is the construction - visual design - that fails on several points, and those validators can't check that.

My personal rule of thumb is to get as close to validation as possible -
shooting for perfect. Now and then I question the "strictness" of my train
of thought.

Good to have "validity" as part of the base for coding web sites. I always start there, and source-code can in most cases be made clean enough to pass 100%.

OTOH: browsers need those CSS workarounds until they have reached stable handling/rendering of regular CSS, so no need to be "too strict" on CSS if you want proper results. There's also those old browser version that we are not allowed to ignore yet, so our stylesheets will probably have to carry non-valid bits and pieces for a long time.

Non-valid source-code and CSS isn't a problem as long as the designer/coder knows what he/she is doing and why the non-valid code is there and what it's doing. Apparently such knowledge is quite often absent, and then both valid and non-valid code and all sorts of solutions and workarounds tend to become, or create, problems.

However, if one is creating a template - I am thinking one should shoot for
validated code.

Same (as above) goes for templates, but it is more important that a template is well documented, and that it actually works.

To Gabriele: your "out of the box" template is in need of a lot more testing and tuning visually across browser-land and with various browser settings. As it is it can't take much of anything in any browser, so it certainly isn't "out of the box" yet. Good idea though.

regards

        Georg