http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-mediaqueries/#device-width

> I have tried to search Apple developers and have come across 'device-width'
> but no 'device-pixel' nor 'device-pixel-ratio'.
>
> <http://developer.apple.com/library/safari/#documentation/appleapplications/reference/safariwebcontent/OptimizingforSafarioniPhone/OptimizingforSafarioniPhone.html>

It is an extension to the css media queries document - although I'm surprised
it appears not documented on developer.apple.com. That media query is mostly
(only ?) useful to do something with images, when the screen density/resolution
is very high, such as the iPhone4 and iPod Touch (retina display), but there is
no reason why it couldn't be useful for e.g. laptops with high-res screens
(think MacBook Air). For more general conditional targetting of high-res
devices the resolution / min-resolution is probably more interesting

WebKit note:
http://webkit.org/blog/55/high-dpi-web-sites/
(scroll down to the 'Conditional Inclusion' header)
Gecko doc:
https://developer.mozilla.org/En/CSS/Media_queries#section_29

(iirc, it has been mentioned a couple of times on www-style, in the context of
an eventual 'Media Queries 2' doc.)

Philippe
---
Philippe Wittenbergh