Thierry Koblentz wrote:

#mainmenu ul li#last #donations {font-size:1.24em;}

What is "immediately clear" to you in that rule?

That within an element of ID "mainmenu" will occur a <UL>;
within that, there will occur an <LI> of ID "last"; and
somewhere within that will occur an element of ID "donations",
and that element should be styled with "font-size: 1.24em".
I would criticise it on the basis of the totally unnecessary
semi-colon at the end, and would prefer to see a space after
the colon.

1. the extra selectors are needed to give enough weight to that rule

No.

2. "li" is used to differentiate this rule from another one that targets the
same ID, but on a DIV (in another document)

Possible but highly unlikely.

3. all the above

No.

4. none of the above

Probably.

Imho, with the "short version", there is much less guessing. What's clear to
the reader is that we're styling that key selector, nothing more. We are not
messing with specificity and we are not sending mixed signals by pairing the
element with its ID. If we decide to add a comment it is to help authors
spot the element in the sheet and/or document, not to tell them what we're
actually doing. That's because our short selector makes that obvious.

As always in matters such as this, each of us is entitled to his
or her own opinion.  In the spirit of "Happy 2011", I am more
than happy to agree to differ and to leave others to form their
own opinions of the relative merits of our individual perspectives.
How does that sound to you ?

** Phil.