Hi,

it has come to light that I need to find a better means of obtaining reliable and dependable information for Web Design concepts. For example, I've seen websites employ various techniques such as overlaying a box in the z-dimension over the main screen and shading the main screen behind it for things like viewing pictures and so on. I decide I want to do something like that, and search for examples. Then I implement it only to find that the example isn't cross-browser safe and probably isn't a great solution.

The problem for me is that I'm not experienced enough to be able to easily see what is a bad example and what is a good example. I'm increasingly finding that via my current methods the information I'm getting is not very dependable, especially across browsers. The results are nightmares for me down the road. Can anyone recommend a good selection of sites and/or books (or anything else) that can give me reliable, cross-browser supporting techniques and concepts for HTML, CSS, and/or JS?

Thanks,
Rich