On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 4:48 AM, Richard Mason <whitne...@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

> I'm not sure I understand that sentence, but I think you would agree that it
> is desirable to state in information sources on this topic that x-height
> varies with font size, and a reason why as you have indicated. From there
> one could perhaps reasonably say that it isn't particularly important, and
> if the value can not be deduced the browser invents one but I certainly
> don't think that sources should invent values, like the CSS spec used to,
> and say they are fixed. People read these documents, take the false data as
> fact carved in stone, and then repeat it in books and articles that are read
> for years.

I don't think that in this particular case the CSS specs are giving so
"false" data. It's common to speak of x-height ratio as a font unique
ratio, see for example this definition [1], with its detail "typically
with 1000 or 2048 units to the Em".
The "oscillations" that we see at small font sizes are a sort of
accident, caused by limitations imposed by a coarse grid, which may or
may not be important.

Regards,
Bruno

[1] http://typophile.com/node/12028