I found the following on the net:

*Content model*

Generally, block-level elements may contain inline
elements and other block-level elements. *Generally, inline elements may
contain
only data and other inline elements.* Inherent in this structural
distinction
is the idea that block elements create “larger” structures than inline
elements.

I interpret that to mean "inline elements may not contain block elements."

But with CSS and the display attribute we can change display from inline to
block, or versa visa, for any element.  So, if my CSS says <b
style="display: block;"> xx </b>, is that an error of any kind? And if so,
it it an HTML error or a CSS error.  I tried to look this up W3.org, but I'm
going to have to work on those grammar-like specifications.  They are not
easy for beginners to read.

--

/*  Colin (Sandy) Pittendrigh  >--oO0> */