Rich:

I have now tried all configurations for the cache, and the behavior is the same every time. It's the same for me whether I'm looking at the copy up on the website, or the one in localhost. People who also see the issue include: another person running IE7, on the same network; someone running IE8, on a completely different network in a different state.

I'm curious to know whether or not you are running your browser with the cache disabled? I usually do, as I do a lot of web development and need to see changes immediately. Without the cache, the browser would need to
reload the image from the server each time, and if the image is of a
certain size it would take a certain time to load on the average
internet connection.

However, when I turned off my cache, I couldn't reproduce the
flickering, I'm assuming because my computer loads the image locally at
that point.

Hope that helps,
Rich

In IE7.0 (at least), the background-image here:
http://datagnostics.com/test/Tindex.html
reloads every time I refresh the page, producing a very-irritating
flicker.

Things that I have tried that don't fix it:

1. Giving layout to the div in question (via zoom:1;) and to its
parent, BODY.

2. putting all the CSS in the header instead of loading it as a link
or @include.

3. putting javascript above or below the CSS.

4. cussing.

Any suggestions?

Mary Ellen
http://datagnostics.com