On Mar 30, 2011, at 6:08 AM, Markus Ernst wrote:

> Currently there does not seem to be any good browser support for it - I
> tested this testcase:
> http://www.markusernst.ch/stuff_for_the_world/table-scroll-test.html
>
> IE 8, Opera 11 and Chrome 10 do nothing, which is better than Firefox 3.6
> which displays a very buggy table with an unnecessary horizontal scrollbar
> and strangely behaving cell borders.
>
> I don't understand everything in the spec, but assume that table-* elements
> are looked at as "replaced elements", so that the overflow property does not
> apply.
>
> But actually scrollable tables are asked for in the real world. There is no
> way to realize them via scripting or CSS without drawbacks. I can't see
> fundamental implementation barriers (as long as there is only one fixed
> header, either at the top or at the left resp. right side).
>
> Are there any clinical reasons for not allowing scrollable tables? Or has
> this just been forgotten in the speccing process so far?

As you note, Gecko (Fx) used to support that - up to Fx 3.6. But support for
this was dropped in Gecko 2.0 (Fx 4). Because 1. it was _very_ buggy and more
importantly 2. the overflow property does not apply to elements with a display
value of 'table-row-group', which is what <tbody> is.

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visufx.html#propdef-overflow

Maybe in the future something will come up to make it possible. Various ideas
have been floated in the css-wg, afaik, but  nothing is specced yet.

Philippe
--
Philippe Wittenbergh
http://l-c-n.com/