Looking through the css spec, it looks like width (of block level
non-replaced elements in normal flow) is calculated based on the
containing block's width,
whereas height is calculated based on the descendant blocks. Thus it's
easy to get a div to stretch
out horizontally to fill it's containing block, but it's much more
difficult to do the same vertically.

I have a div structure like this:

some controls here
some content here

The container is sizable by the user, and is its own block formatting
context (its positioned absolutely).
The control bar has a fixed height, zero margins, and auto width, so
it expands horizontally to fill the
container. The content also expands horizontally in the same manner.

I want to get the content to expand vertically to fit the remaining
area of the container.

The closest I can come in css seems to be setting the height of
content to 100%. However, since the
control-bar also takes up vertical space, the content sticks out the
bottom. Really what I'd like the height
of content to be is 100% the height of the container, minus the height
of control bar.

Any suggestions on how to achieve this in css? Any misunderstandings
on my part? Is the only
way to solve this in javascript?

Thanks,
Brendan