Andrew C. Johnston wrote:

> When the site was converted, I hacked out one piece of code, which served to
> allow the header image to effectively span the entire width of the browser,
> improving the look tremendously in my view, but causing errors in ie:
>
> <!--
> body {
>      margin-top: 0px;
>      background-color: #EAEAEA;
>      background-image: url(http://www.rayxi.com/assets/images/bg2.gif);
>      background-repeat: repeat-x;
> }
> -->
>
> The site now validates, and I went back to this issue recently, it turns out
> this css comes first, right before the javascript starts, and before the css
> stylesheet is called.  It doesn't work at all if put in the stylesheet, for me
> at least.

Is it /possible/ that, when trying to transfer it to the stylesheet,
you left in the HTML comments markers :

    <!--

        and

    -->

If so, these should be omitted when inserting the remainder
in a valid CSS file.

Philip Taylor
_________________

Hmm, I left those in on the javascript not knowing they were not needed.  Not
sure how well I follow you but let me report that:

The link I sent before *had*
<script>
body element (with comment code)
</script>
<script>
java (with comment code)
</script>
stylesheet.

Now I have stripped out all comments, and it still seems to work but also still
seems to have the same problem in ie.

Plus, I have a new page to test your line of thinking, with all comment code
out
and it successfully puts the body element in the stylesheet instead of before
the java, which didn't work before.  So you pointed me in the right direction
for sure, must have been the comments that messed that up.  I don't think I
would have taken the comments into the css, I know a bit about what css code
looks like, so maybe the comment code in the java did something.

New link here: http://www.rayxi.com/index.php?id=197

But, it still seems to have the same problem is ie.

Maybe I have made a mistake, I will need to go over this again.  In ie, its
almost like my stylesheet isn't being accessed, because every aspect of the
stylesheet isn't showing up, only html stuff is appearing.