It's an easy mistake to make.

Remember that CSS is a browser-side language, just like HTML and
JavaScript. The code you're looking at on your server is not CSS code - it's
a template (or PHP code, or whatever) that your server uses to *generate*
HTML, CSS, and JavaScript.

The browser doesn't see any of that server code. It doesn't know about PHP
or those substitution variables or anything like that. All it sees is the
final output.

So if you're troubleshooting CSS, look at the generated CSS, not the server
code. Use View Source or other browser tools so that you see what the
browser is seeing. Then if something is amiss, you can refer back to the
server template or code that generated your CSS.

-Mike

(top-posted for consistency with the existing thread)