2011-06-26 1:39, john petroshius wrote:

would anyone have an idea why the background image for this site
> does not show up properly in IE8? it appears to work ok
> in other browsers I've checked...thanks!

http://www.mariancall.com

The background image for the <body> element seems to deal with just the vertical dotted line between the navigation menu on the left and the content proper. It's there on IE 9. I wonder if the problem is IE 8 specific, i.e. what happens on IE 7.

But fixing it might be a major effort, as the page has 251 markup errors as reported by the W3C validator. Many of them are caused by the mixture of HTML and XHTML on the page, but there seem to be many real structural errors like unclosed elements and duplicate id values. So it's difficult say why it seems to work relatively consistently.

What happens if you test just your CSS rule for <body> alone, using a trivial HTML page? If it works, you could test it with your entire stylesheet. And then add parts of HTML markup until the problem reappears. It could be a long way, and rebuilding the page (using valid HTML and a simpler approach) might be a faster way.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/