On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 10:00 PM, Alan Gresley <a...@css-class.com> wrote:

> On 20/07/2011 2:29 PM, Ghodmode wrote:
>
>> I'm not going anywhere, but you have a point.  Some people seem to be
>> disproportionately upset by the topic.
>
> The reason that text is used is mainly due to security issues and encoding
> (mono-space). My email client is permanently set to only show text and send
> text emails. Another reason is that this list conforms to what is practiced
> by what I believe are all W3C working Groups. This is text format from the
> CSS WG open mailing list.
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2011Jul/0306.html

I can't dispute the potential for security or privacy problems for
HTML email in general, but I do think that most people who receive
email are subjected to those problems and that this group isn't the
most likely source of them.

W3C mailing lists allow HTML and attachments:
from http://www.w3.org/2002/03/email_attachment_formats.html :
    Although email messages themselves are normally sent in plain text
    or HTML format, attachments in other formats are sometimes
    included.

> You recently made a comment about the practice for this list to have the To:
> field not being sent to the list. Any thread where you becomes involved shows
> a broken thread in this list archives (below) and most email clients.

I didn't understand part of that.  Any thread where I become involved
shows a broken thread in the list archives?  How is that?

I have made comments about the "Reply-To", but that's not related to
this topic, is it?

> http://archivist.incutio.com/viewlist/css-discuss/116402

That links to a continuous thread hierarchy.

> There are good reason why things work the way they do.

Are the reasons still good?  That's the question I was asking... What
are they and are they valid?

> Wondering about where _list-mum_ is since this thread is
> clearly *off topic*.

Yes, it relates to CSS-Discuss rather than to CSS.  However, since it
affects everyone on the list, it's only appropriate to have the
conversation on the mailing list.

"list-mum"?  Do you mean the list administrator?  Note that the email
that started the thread was sent to css-d-owner and only CCd to css-d.
He hasn't replied.

It became a conversation thread because people wanted to discuss it.

I'm just replying to peoples messages that they sent to me on the
list.  I didn't reply on the list unless the messages were sent
to me on the list... this one is included, of course.

--
Ghodmode
http://www.ghodmode.com/blog