On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 9:47 AM, Jukka K. Korpela <jkorp...@cs.tut.fi> wrote:
> 23.8.2011 19:30, Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:
> But now you gave me an excuse to jump in, because I don't think the trick is
> particularly clever - it's not reliable, as it requires pixel-exact
> settings, and it is difficult to maintain (people tend to forget tricks they
> have used). It would probably be more robust to use a background image that
> consists of a horizontal line, positioning it suitably using the em unit, so
> that the position gets adjusted by font size. What I mean is
> suitable padding (and solid color background) on the <span>.

I thought the lines were a fun idea.
But, also had some misgivings about how robust this particular solution was.

I've tried the following and found it fairly stable in the half-dozen
browsers I tested it in. I live in a zero bar geography so no mobile
tests at the moment.

        h2 {
                border-bottom: 2px solid #000000;
                text-align: center;