On 10/09/2011 3:56 AM, John wrote:

On Sep 8, 2011, at 10:26 PM, Alan Gresley wrote:

John, if you have IE8 or IE9, you can use the developer tools to show
IE7 emulation mode. Select the key 'F12' at the top of your keyboard.
Here is IE6 (on the left) and IE7 (emulation mode) side by side.

http://css-class.com/x/coffee-ie6-ie7.png

OK..can I get IE 8 or 9 and still keep the Beloved and Venerable IE 6?

Yes.

http://www.my-debugbar.com/wiki/IETester/HomePage

This reproduces IE6 quite well. What window OS do you use. If you use Windows 7, then you can download IE9. If you have Window XP, your in trouble since I don't think that you can download IE8.

also, in both cases you show in that PNG, why does my type get pushed
down like that? I just tried eliminating my top head, and making it
graphic, and still the center type gets pushed down?

only in explorer does this happen.

thank you

John

It does not happen in IE8+ since the layout engine was rebuilt. There are two fixes for IE7. One solution is the one that David has provided. The other solution is to the add clear: left to the div#SideMenuHead_Home.

The bug that IE7 is showing is demoed here.

http://css-class.com/articles/explorer/floats/floatandcleartest1.htm

The bug is shown in Example 2a and the solution is shown in Example 2b. Since you do not seem to have IE7, this is what is happening. The first float (the header) pushes the second float div#SideMenuHead_Home down below it. This is what should happen but this causes trouble in both IE7 and IE6.

See the dashed line (----) as the margin-top (+++ is the margin area) of both the div#SideMenuHead_Home (indicated by menu) and the header (indicated by Featured UX project). This is what is happening now.

X                              X
X                              X
X                              X
----        -------------------
++++        +++++++++++++++++++
menu        +++++++++++++++++++
            +++++++++++++++++++
            +++++++++++++++++++
            Featured UX project

This should be what is happening (the margin-top goes under the first float).

menu        Featured UX project

Now IE6 is doing something else which I do not follow. David fix will help.

--
Alan Gresley
http://css-3d.org/