Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

Since you already have markup like

M<span class="Keyphrase">any of us</span>

it would seem natural to put the initial letter in a classed span, making it
trivial to refer to it in CSS. Assuming, of course, that you can affect the
markup.

Yes, I can indeed; I was just trying to avoid overt markup
if it could be avoided.

I don't see how text-transform : uppercase on something else would be relevant to the
issue of styling the first letter. And it seems to me that David suggested just
_removing_ some stylesheets that you currently have (including text-transform :
uppercase). I think red color is not particularly stylish. What you seem to be trying to
achieve is "classical" styling where the first few words of a paragraph appear
in small capitals (except uppercase letters as normal capitals) - and I doubt whether
it's a good idea to add color to that.

Yes, /mea culpa/ : I have already sent a correction.

The main problem with such "classical" styling in HTML documents is that true
small-caps are rarely supported. Although you can set font-variant: small-caps in CSS,
you get (in almost all cases)just reduced-size uppercase letters, _not_ small-caps
designer typographically to fit into the text. Using explicit font size reduction
together with bolding is a nice try to work around such problems, but not without
problems. The initial letters now have somewhat too thin lines, and if you try to fix
that by bolding, they get too thick.

Yes, it was as close as I could get to classical styling;
certainly CSS's generation of caps-and-small-caps was just
an æsthetic disaster.

I don't quite see the point of
letter-spacing: 0.075em;
for the initial letter. If you look at e.g. the words "The", don't you think
that the distance needs to be _reduced_ rather than increased? If you fine-tune spacing,
then I think you would need to fine-tune it individually by character pairs, effectively
doing things comparable to what a typographer does when deciding on kerning pairs.

It was added empirically.  Before I added that correction, it
looked decidedly worse (to my eyes).  However, that was in an
earlier version of Seamonkey (2.0.14, probably) and I do agree
that the kerning in "T<small caps>he</>" is now markedly sub-optimal.

And yes, I'd love to be able to add kern-pairs in CSS, but I don't
think CSS has evolved that far yet :-)

Philip Taylor