9.10.2011 2:03, Mark Henderson wrote:

Keith Purtell wrote:
But one item defies all efforts. For some reason, hiss CSS for general
text content is set up with a 1cm indent, which looks pretty ugly.
I've been tolerating it with paragraphs, but it also kicks in whenever
I try to add a list, which is uglier yet (screen capture:
http://www.keithpurtell.com/kthings/gaps.jpg). I tried inserting
inline CSS of text-indent:0 in both the <ol> and the <li>s but it
didn't have any effect. What to do to banish this monster?

A screen shot for code debugging just isn't going to cut it I'm afraid.
Help yourself by helping us and provide a public clickable link or your
own simplified test case of the problem,

That's very good advice. It's often crucial to post a URL early, partly because people who might be able to help may lose interest when reading through discussions that aren't particularly useful, due to lack of sufficient data.

In this specific case, I was able to track down the problem with my advanced ESP, though Google helped a little. :-) I'm pretty sure the URL (or at least _a_ relevant URL) is
http://tahlequahnow.com/story.php?id=568
and I'm sure there's the problem there that the attribute name style has been misspelled as stye (so browsers just ignore the attributes).

Setting text-indent: 0 in style attributes overrides the overall settings, but there are simpler ways, such as putting
li { text-indent: 0; }
inside a <style> element. This should suffice, since currently the li elements have no text-indent explicitly set, they just inherit it from div.newsitem. (And any explicit setting, no matter how weak cascade-wise, breaks inheritance.)

There might be a problem, though. Although a text-indent of 1cm is not particularly suitable for list items, it helps to visually separate the items from each other. If you remove that, I would consider setting, say, a bottom margin of 0.3em for li elements, or something similar (in cases like this, where list items may span several lines).

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/