11/11/2011 2:28 AM, John wrote:

Is there a way to get a 1-pixel rule after a last paragraph of text which:
[…]
• is the width of the text
[…]
I can throw a border-bottom in there, but it's as wide as the parent of
course...

No, it is as wide as the paragraph element. So the question is: What do you mean by the width of the text?

If I throw an image in there that pushes the text to the right there's
> less visual space for a rule that is as wide as the text, but the "css space"
> is the same as it was: the width of the parent.

I don't understand what you are referring to. If you simply set a bottom-border for a <p> element, it takes the width of that element, and you can set padding-bottom as desired.

Am I attacking the problem all wrong here?

I'm afraid it's not clear at all what the problem is.

Yucca