On 2012/01/24 11:19 (GMT+0800) Ghodmode composed:

Felix Miata wrote:
 Here are a few real-world examples of fixed width sites:
      http://www.mashable.com 972px
 http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/SC/sc-mashable2560-01.jpg

      http://www.stackoverflow.com 960px
 http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/SC/sc-stackoverflow2560-01.jpg

      http://developers.whatwg.org/ 820px
 http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/SC/sc-whatwgdevel2560-01.jpg

      http://lifehacker.com/ 980px
 http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/SC/sc-lifehacker2560-01.jpg

      http://developer.yahoo.com/ 974px
 http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/SC/sc-yahoodevel2560-01.jpg

      http://paulirish.com 936px
 http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/SC/sc-paulirish2560-01.jpg
 On 2012/01/24 19:15 (GMT+0800)

 I don't know about the original poster's target demographic, but 960px
 works well on a modern computer or a modern mobile device....

 Debatable...

I guess some of this stuff is a matter of opinion.  In each of the
screenshots, you're saying that the site could make better use of the
horizontal space available, right?

That, among other things which should be evident, some from reading the content, more from merely looking at perspective. Content links, for convenience, included in those screenshots:

http://www.informationarchitects.jp/100e2r?v=4
http://www.w3.org/2003/07/30-font-size
http://bureau.tsailly.net/2010/10/honey-i-shrunk-the-pixels.html

Related ones not used there:
http://www.yourwinningresources.com/all-about-websites/The-Web-is-Not-Paper.htm
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/designmistakes.html
http://www.dev-archive.net/articles/font-analogy.html

Those and more are listed without comment on http://fm.no-ip.com/Auth/refmarks.html

In my humble opinion, those sites make effective use of horizontal space
and presentation of their content.  When more fits on the screen than
just the web site it's a good thing.

That's one school of thought. Some people use a bigger screen to fit more stuff. That's you. Others use a bigger screen to make stuff bigger. That's me. Many others fall somewhere in between those two basic schools, but most designers seem to fit yours, and without demonstrating knowledge that any other exists.

I'd make the browser window only big enough to show the site, then use
the rest of the space for other windows.  But that's just me.

Many, but hardly all.

Consider also the general rule that content shouldn't exceed some
horizontal width.  It often applies to coding practices and
communications mediums... even some mailing lists.

Relevant width is the key. When the width as measured in a designer's em that is a fraction of the browser UI em, and a smaller fraction of the browser's default em, the width is too narrow, as everything in that viewport is too small.

 Maybe you need to define what you mean by "talented", "successful" and "look
 great". Clearly here these sites don't make much of anything big enough to
 evaluate, certainly providing little evidence of enough talent to both
 understand and care about the impact of screen density on px layouts from
 the perspective of non-designer web users. NAICT from here they all look
 like they were designed for print.

Here's what I meant:
     talented = I think that these people are smarter than me, with
     regard to web d.  They've had significant experience working on
     high-visibility sites and/or they've made significant
     contributions to the web d. community, earning my respect.

Or it could mean they're copycats, not a particularly meaningful talent.

     successful = lots of visitors

How many actually stay more than a few seconds needs to count too. I hit a lot of sites that are loaded only for as long as it takes to see how rude they are and hit the back or close tab button to escape.

     look great = pretty

Look great cannot be evaluated when everything is too small.

 It doesn't seem like anything is holding back screen densities.  I''m
 a novice, but I keep hearing about retina and super amo oled plus and
 4k HD displays.  It seems like hardware capacity is out-pacing
 software capacity.

 Your first sentence and third sentence conflict. For the most part, pixel
 densities _are_ being held back for lack of software support. For several
 years, desktop displays had a fairly wide range of sizes for any given
 resolution. More recently the range has been much narrower, with more
 discrete resolutions available than previously, and depending on
 manufacturer, a range of about 3" or less for each one up to the highest of
 the high volume sizes (1920x1080).

Okay.  I don't get it.  This is clearly a topic that you understand
much better than I do.

Maybe a bit of study of http://fm.no-ip.com/PC/displays.html could be helpful here. Compare it to http://fm.no-ip.com/PC/dpi.xhtml to see the latter is older, and populated by a much smaller number of combinations, many of which are no longer available to purchase except as new old stock or used. Even though the former contains more possibles, few are readily, if at all, available new. Most for desktop use vary little from 96 device px per inch, because the DTEs poorly support anything else. Note too that excepting special order, almost everything available new for the desktop is now 16:9 format.

If you're talking about the desktop environments, is it related to web
d.?

Web pages normally get loaded by visitors in web browsers. Fully capable web browsers can't exist in a vacuum. They depend on a DTE for their existence. The DTE provides a context. When web page content is all smaller than other objects within the DTE, it misfits the context - it's out of place, typically inconvenient at best, difficult or impossible to use at worst, depending on the true competence actually employed by the designer.

Web browsers are inherently designed, like the rest of the DTE, to be personalized at least to some extent, and to adapt content to the DTE context. Typically, CSS serves not only to style, but also to inhibit or even prohibit the adaptation that is a major advantage the web should have over print. Because of the ways most stylists use CSS, typically that potential advantage is neither realized nor realizable.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/