Brilliant on both counts. Thanks!

Except...

Now (in Safari both mac and windows) I'm getting little resize boxes on each
cell in the list.  I also notice these on the on the grey side bar and at the
bottom of the list as well.  They seem to show up anywhere i've set overflow,
although i thought they were only for when I set resize.  I'm missing something
here... once again.

On the other hand, I'm getting wildly different results in IE9 with just about
everything.  (I don't really care about IE8 or below as this is ultimately
going to be an internal web application for which I will specify minimum
requirements = IE9)

In IE9:
• the column widths don't seem to be following the rules
• the graphic behind the Organisation Name heading is wrong.
• the borders between certain objects are white instead of black
• it doesn't seem to be following the sans-serif fonts i've requested.

I've heard of minor inconsistencies between browsers, but this seems over the
top.  Is this typical?  Why don't CSS and HTML just do what they're told?

Well, again thanks for all the help.  Any further direction here will be
equally appreciated!

David.