On Apr 10, 2012, at 9:23 PM, Christian Hanvey wrote:

> How difficult would it be for browser manufacturer's to create their CSS
> parsers so that they could also accept the international spelling of CSS
> properties eg color + colourcenter + centregrey + gray
> It seems to me like it really would not be that difficult - so why is it not
> this way? It would certainly have saved me some time debugging in my early
> days!I imagine there is a good reason why not, but wanted to hear if anyone
> actually knows the reason.

Historically, US English has always been the normative language for W3C
specifications. Allowing an additional, different spelling in parallel would
significantly increase the complexity of writing such specs. Similarly, for
browsers, having to implement -and maintain!- such aliasing mechanism wouldn't
come cheap.

But I agree with you. Colour ftw! After 10+ years I still spell it wrong.

(I've always been of the opinion that the W3C specs should have been written en
Français)

> I could not find anything in the spec referring as to why we only use the
> American spelling rather than International spelling.

I don't think it is referenced normatively. Best place to ask is the CSS WG’s
www-style mailing list, though.

Philippe
--
Philippe Wittenbergh