Personally, I use tables whenever necessary and style them using CSS.  You
don't have to continue using DIV if it isn't working correctly.  Also, the cost
of your time has to be taken into account when designing a site.  After all, we
all have to make money some how whether it is using tables & CSS or DIVs & CSS.

Use DIVs as far as you can but don't hesitate to use an odd table code to
position something quickly.

Good Luck.