Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out if it's possible (via purely CSS) to take some
UPPERCASE TEXT and display it as Title Case (i.e. The First Letter Of Every
Word Capitalized), or, less ideally but better than all-caps, Sentence case
(i.e. The first letter of the sentence/element capped, the rest lowercase).

My first thought was to just use text-transform: capitalize, but that won't
work because it only touches the first letter of each word. All-uppercase
text would be unaffected by text-transform: capitalize because the first
letters are already capped, and the other letters don't get touched.

So then I thought maybe I could apply text-transform: lowercase to the
entire element, and text-transform: uppercase to the ::first-letter
pseudo-element. That should give me sentence case, rather than title case,
but might be preferable to all uppercase. This worked in my
proof-of-concept test, but not in the thing I was actually working on.

Rather than getting bogged down too much in technical / implementation
details, I'll just point you to the test page I created, which includes
working and non-working examples, and some explanation as well.

http://kage23.com/text-transform.html

If anyone has any ideas why this is not working as I expect it to work, I'd
love to hear it!

Best, and TIA,
Kyle

--
Kyle G Sessions
Berkeley Electronic Press

510-665-1200 + 128

www.bepress.com

bepress: the frontier of scholarly publishing since 1999

Check out IR success stories on the DC Telegraph at
http://blog.digitalcommons.bepress.com