I am always struck by how bad type looks when I proof my pages on a PC than on
a Mac. I think part of it is the difference between the way the two platforms
render type, but part of it also might be how I'm speccing my type...

Compared to how it looks on my Mac (any browser), the same type looks horsey
and ungainly..sizes are way off relative to each other.

Do developers simply accept this, or are there best practices to make sure that
the typography looks the same (or pretty close) on all platforms?

Thank you,

John