On 10.07.2012 00:01, Spencer, Laura Langa wrote:

> Problem: In Mac Safari and Mac Firefox, the final navigation option,
> "RESOURCES" bumps down to a second line and it should be all on one
> line. In all PC browsers (IE, Firefox, Chrome) it renders fine.

Drops in IE9 and Firefox 13 (both at default settings) on window 7 at my end. Had to go back to an old version to see the menu on one line in Firefox.

> Question: Can anyone help explain why this is happening or what I can
> try to fix it?

Relying on font-size and font-family for alignment tend to reveal such weaknesses. You can never know for sure that your choice of font-size and font-family get through.

> What I've done: I did W3C HTML validation and that's ok. I do get
> some errors on W3C CSS validation and a lot of trial and error to
> fix, but no such luck yet.

Validity isn't a problem in your case. You simply have to make your menu more stress-tolerant by carefully checking what happens if for instance font gets resized, or browser falls back to another font-family because your choice isn't on an end-user's computer.

The "trick", if we can call it that, is to make everything look and behave just fine even when parts of it drop to a second line, because for that type of menu it will happen in some cases no matter what you do.

regards
        Georg