Hi

Something that I asked myself for years already: If you have some floating boxes, you may want them to fill the available width and then continue at a next row. Now, if these boxes do not have a fixed height, this will result in rows that do not start at the left edge, as this example illustrates:
http://www.markusernst.ch/stuff_for_the_world/test-floating-boxes.html

Vary the window width to see how new rows are started according to the heights of the boxes in the upper row.

The only CSS way I have been able to work around this so far (without scripting) is defining a fixed box height, which is not a good solution for multiple reasons. I would like the boxes to be rendered as if they were wrapped in table rows, each row having the height necessary for the tallest box in the row. But of course I cannot actually wrap them (or use table-* styles), because the number of boxes per row varies with the width of the viewport.

Is there a good solution for this problem?

Thanks for your comments!
Markus