Gabriele Romanato wrote:

> In this case, resets should be rewritten in a way that allows you to
> leave some browser's default styles intact or at least not
> overwritten. Consider this:
>
> b, i {
>    font-style: normal;
>    font-weight: normal;
> }
>
> If you forget to redefine your styles,  a client of yours might call
> you just to say that all of its MS Word contents inserted in the CMS
> editor look like plain text without any kind of basic formatting (bold
> and italic).

I do not understand.  Why might a CSS-reset stylesheet want to set
font style and weight to normal for the <b> and <i> elements ?
That is not a "reset" (normalising everything to a common
intelligent default) but more of an aberation.  I have little use
for CSS-resets myself, but the particular example you adduce seems
perverse as best.  What Eric actually proposes for the <b> and <i>
elements (along with most others) is :

> {
>     margin: 0;
>     padding: 0;
>     border: 0;
>     font-size: 100%;
>     font: inherit;
>     vertical-align: baseline;
> }

i.e., leave font-weight and style to the browser, which can be relied
on to do the intelligent thing.

Philip Taylor