Hi all,

This _might_ be off-topic; I think it's kind of a grey area. So if the
moderators want to shut this discussion down, I understand.

I'm working on a project involving a series of <dl>s. They're each pretty
narrow, so I wanted to display them in columns, so I used column-count and
column-gap from CSS3. Of course, IE doesn't respect these rules (not even
IE9), and I have to support IE on this project, so I'm looking for
alternatives.

So far, I've come across the following:

http://www.csscripting.com/css-multi-column/
This won't work for me because it only processes linked stylesheets, and
the stylesheet that contains my column rules is not linked in the HTML;
it's imported from another stylesheet.

http://randysimons.nl/125,english/129,multi-column-text/
This actually _almost_ gets me there, except that the two columns it
generates are not even. The first has five of my seven <dl>s and the second
has the final two <dl>s, where I'd prefer to see four and three.

So ... does anyone have any other thoughts or suggestions? Please keep in
mind that, once this project is live in production, I won't be able to
predict how many <dl>s might be generated and displayed at any given point;
it needs to be flexible.

If I can't find anything else, I'm probably going to end up restoring my
CSS3, and serving the Javascript from randysimons.nl to IE only.

Best,
Kyle

--
Kyle G Sessions
Berkeley Electronic Press

510-665-1200 + 128

www.bepress.com

bepress: the frontier of scholarly publishing since 1999

Check out IR success stories on the DC Telegraph at
http://blog.digitalcommons.bepress.com