Paul,

if you intend to load a javascript function on select,
I gess you should use javascript to colapse the menus.
You can give a class to the menus that by default keeps them open,
and another class to define them as closed.
Then you can close the menus by changing the classes via js,
on load and on selection, and to open them on hover switching the class.
There is no css safe pseudo-selector for selected containers.
You can use ":active" but the spec isn't restrictive enough to avoid
descrepancies between implementations,
so different browsers interpret the spec differently and treat the :active
state
in very different ways.
So if you are already loading js to deal with the menu,
why not extend its functionality?

hope it helps
isabel