Philippe, just wanted to thank you for this link.  I, too, have grown
weary of the "select" for a responsive menu.  It's very visually
disruptive when you go to make a selection, it requires multiple clicks,
and just seems like a cheap "cheat".

This link had so many great ideas, not just for nav, but for tables,
forms, so many things.  It prompted me to completely rethink the UI I am
deep into designing right now.  Combined with some of the thinking in the
previous links on this thread (especially, the "mobile first" perspective)
I _finally_ think I have a design for the intensely complex project I'm
working on.

Thank you so much.  You saved my sanity (or what's left of it).

Chris