Le 30 janv. 2013 à 02:22, "Gates, Jeff" <gat...@si.edu> a écrit :

> Right now we use a tag on our pages that tells the page to render in IE7:
> splash page all looked good in Firefox, Chrome, Safari but there were some
> strange things going on when I looked at it in IE8. I see that when I
> change the meta tag to display the page in IE8 instead of IE7 most of
> those issues go away. So with that in mind:
>
> If we change the meta tag to display in IE8 instead of IE7 what will
> people who are using IE7 see (what mode will our page be displayed in)? We
> no longer are supporting IE6 and below. Depending on the answer to this
> question, perhaps we should stop developing for IE7 as well. What's your
> opinion?

For _new_ documents, you should always push IE to display in the latest mode
(that it supports):

Then test in older versions and add some adjustments as needed (i.e.via
conditional comments).

> If we changed this to:
>
> <!DOCTYPE html>
>

> How would this affect what IE7 and IE8 render our pages?

With the HTML5 doctype, IE 6 and up will all render in 'strict' mode, or their
understanding of it…; there are some differences with what you use now (strict
vs transitional). But as noted above, adjust for older browsers if needed.

Philippe
--
Philippe Wittenbergh
http://l-c-n.com