I'm not sure if this is going off-topic for this list; if someone knows of
a more appropriate place to ask this please let me know. It does have to do
with media queries, but it's more of an aesthetic question than a practical
one.

My problem with grasping the media queries concept is the fact that website
displayed at a certain resolution (say 1600px wide) look very different on
a large desktop monitor and a laptop, and I assume they look different on
tablets of different resolutions although I don't have a way to test that.

I want my site to display full screen on a tablet pc, (no grey margins on
the sides) but I assume the ability to do this depends on the resolution of
the tablet. I put in max-width 1280 on my main container so the site fills
my 1280 tablet, but it looks huge on my desktop monitor. I haven't seen it
on a higher resolution (than 1280) tablet, but I imagine it will look tiny
with grey margins on the sides. I have viewed it on a 1600px wide laptop,
and that looks ok to me. I understand I can add more columns and horizontal
content for higher resolutions, but that's not always a good idea for
smaller screen sizes, is it?

How do you deal with this?

Best Regards,
Laura