COM wrote:

> given the  code below and that my "bricktile.jpg" is 1 level up from
> my index.html in a folder named "image" can anyone tell me why my
> background-image refuses to appear?

Because it is one level up, not one level down.
Philip Taylor
--------

> I've been looking at it for half hour and I am baffled. thank you for
> any clues.
>
> John
>
> body{ font-size:100%; font-family:Helvetica Neue, Verdana, Arial,
> sans-serif; background-image:url(image/bricktile.jpg); }

If I can't see the start of your reply without scrolling, there is a
99.9% probability that your message will be ignored.  And if all that I
can see is recycled text from earlier messages in the thread, the
probability will increase to 100%.