Well, hey! Apparently, I couldn't see the forest through the trees! I built
the site years ago and the nav was based on the "CSS or navigation matrix"
(what some folks were calling it at the time) and was my first attempt at
moving from JS rollovers and sliced images. TBH, I don't remember where the
JS came in. Feeling a bit sheepish now as I totally forgot about nav.js and
it had me pulling my hair out. Cheers and thanks for the help!

Pete