I did some searching.  A combination of flexbox layout and srcset images
may (eventually) make responsive design a non-issue.  But in the meantime
there are browser version and prefixing issues to learn first, before
attempting to use any of it.  All of this looks promising (I'm a beginner,
not an expert).

IE 10 supports a prefixed syntax.  IE 11 is more standards compliant. But
what about the hoards of legacy XP users?  If the developer has to use IE
conditionals and then to write legacy CSS as well as prefixed and not
prefixed flexbox and srcset codes, what's the point?  Am I missing
something?  How can we get Microsoft to upgrade the old browsers--which
cause so much pain?

Or is there a current benefit--that's worth the effort--of using the new
stuff now?

On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 12:07 AM, Micky Hulse <mickyhulse.li...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Thanks for the reply/answer/code Philippe! It's much appreciated.
>
> On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 11:01 PM, Philippe Wittenbergh <e...@l-c-n.com>
> wrote:
> > Directly? I don’t think so - all those (:first-*, :last-*)
> pseudo-classes target real elements in the DOM.
>
> Ah, that's good to know. Thanks for the clarification. :)
>
> > But if you know that the e.g. second div in your layout will be moved to
> be visibly the first one, you can use the nth-child pseudo-class:
> > div:nth-child(2) { background: lime }
>
> Great! I'll play with that.
>
> Have a nice weekend.
>
> Cheers,
> Micky
>
> --
> <git.io/micky>

/*  Colin (Sandy) Pittendrigh  >--oO0> */