2014-01-19 22:47, Philip Taylor wrote:

Larry Martell wrote :

In my example, in the first option, I would need 12S left justified
and by_target right justified.

Ah, more complex, and somewhat harder (perhaps impossible); in the
absence of any distinguishing markup around "12S" and "by_target",
you would have to try to target "first-word".

There is no selector for first-word, in CSS specifications or drafts or as a browser extension.

You cannot style parts of an <option> element as differently from the rest of the element, except possibly the first letter. There are no suitable pseudo-elements. Besides, implementations of <select> in browsers are often still special in a manner that makes them immune even to such CSS settings that can be made to work for other elements.

The implication is that if you need good styleability for a menu, you don't use <select> but a set of radio buttons or something built with JavaScript.

Yucca