Just to be the contrarian that my family and friends often say I am...Let me add
this to the thread:

It's been a long while since I've even thought about the convoluted math that
needs to be done when using the counter-intuitive W3C box model. These days I
just add this to the top of all my stylesheets and off I go -

* { -moz-box-sizing: border-box;
     box-sizing: border-box; }

A few years ago I read some place that the W3C box model came down to a decision
by a single member. I don't know if that's true or not but I'd like to get some
history on the topic.

Eric