On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 2:44 PM, Jukka K. Korpela <jkorp...@cs.tut.fi>wrote:

> 2014-03-27 18:34, Tom Livingston wrote:
>
>  I was doing this simple test with google fonts (via @import method).
>>
>> body{
>>      font-family: $roboto;
>> }
>>
>> .bold{
>>      font-weight: 500;
>> }
>>

> I suppose you are using some special tools that convert that $roboto to a
> real name. But how do you refer to the font? If you use Roboto as hosted by
> Google and you use normal weight and 500 weight, you need, as Google
> instructions say,
>
> <link href='http://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Roboto:400,500'
> rel='stylesheet'>

Yes, $roboto is a sass variable. And my @import from google is similar to
your example.

> The <strong> element causes font-weight: bold, i.e. font-weight: 700, by
> default. So you should either change that setting or include 700 into the
> href attribute.
>

>  The strong tag above was rendering wrong in FF and Chrome. FF was
>> 'double-bolding' the text, and Chrome showed odd char spacing.
>>

> When settings ask for bold and the font in use has no bold typeface
> (loaded), browsers may apply algorithmic (synthetic) bolding. The results
> vary by browser and are generally typographically poorer than real bold
> typeface.
>

>  Am I implementing something wrong, or do I need to write rules like
>> strong{font-weight:500;font-style:normal;} to have this work right?
>>

> If you want <strong> to appear in weight 500, then you need
>
> strong { font-weight:500; }
>
> There is no reason to set font-style on it, since font-style: normal is
> the default. (Theoretically, some browser could have a different default.
> Then there's probably some very good reason to that, and authors should not
> interfere.)

OK, so I'm not (completely) crazy. I've used a few different font sources
and just wanted to confirm that a rule like strong{font-weight: 500;} is
needed in Google's case.

> Yucca

Thanks all.

--

Tom Livingston | Senior Front-End Developer | Media Logic |
ph: 518.456.3015x231 | fx: 518.456.4279 | mlinc.com