…

> In this "Gallery" page I'd like all thumbnails to float left around the
> main display image without making odd, unpredictable white space areas on
> the next line after a thumbnail runs off the right side of the display area.
>
> In other words I'd like the thumbnails to float into an orderly table like
> arrangement, controlled entirely by the browser, depending on current
> viewport width.

Fwiw, I kinda like that irregular mosaic that you have as a result of floating
those blocks combined with different image sizes. Brings a bit of life in the
collection…

Just my 2¥. Anyway,

You have an additional problem though: on hovering over an image thumbnail, the
whole mosaic reorganises itself. You *add* a border to the thumbnails while the
pointer is hovering over the images. Thus the size of each block changes (1px
later/taller). You should also add a border to the default state, something
like:
img { border: 1px solid transparent; }
img:hover { border-color: black; /* or whatever you prefer */ }

Philippe
--
Philippe Wittenbergh
http://l-c-n.com