I’m unfamiliar with the Compass syntax. However, the syntax looks old.

First get the wrapper in order:
start with “display:flex” for the parent container. then “flex-direction: row”
to set the orientation of the child elements. Then justify-content.

justify-content will set the position of your elements inside of the container.
justify-content: center will put stuff in the center, while 'space-between'
throws your elements out to the edges, and evenly spaces the middle.

After that, add flex styles to the child elements:
Flex-basis is used to set the “starting” width of a child element. You can set
flex-basis in %, em, or px (or whatever your heart’s desire)

'Flex-basis' means that this is a “default” width of the child element - before
it starts to grow or shrink. All elements will start with this space, before
expanding or shrinking.

'flex-grow' sets how much the child element can grow, in comparison to its
siblings. If you set all child elements to flex-grow:1, then, after flex-basis,
they will grow  to fill up the available space. If only one element is set to
flex-grow:1, then it will grow, while the others stay the same.

Here’s a quick example I threw together: http://www.cssdesk.com/PFBAX