I've put off learning about CSS grids until very recently, but now a designer has sent me a PSD to code which he says is 'on a 12-column grid' I thought I'd better get up to speed.

I've done some reading. I have discovered that I've been using grids for years, with two and three column designs (even four sometimes). I can make them responsive, too. I've just not thought of them as grids.

I've read http://css-tricks.com/dont-overthink-it-grids/ (and others). I understand the method. Useful for three and four column layouts, I can see, but I can already do that. But I don't understand what I'd do with an eight or twelve column design (or why I'd need it, really).

I must be missing something important and obvious, so I'm seeking
enlightenment, please.

Regards,

Tim Dawson

--